Saturday, May 8, 2010

What have I left?

It's time to unplug the cord the doctor said
I heard his whisper it slowly to the nurse
I said a prayer though I knew I was cursed
It was true, I've never felt worse.

I got in the car and thought about your limp body
and how the idea of you
had deflated into
nothing more than time consumed flesh

Shrugged my shoulders though my heart was heavy
and knew it was best.
Now that I've let you go
maybe we can both rest

Driving over unfamiliar highway
Windows down, arm stretched out
Sun kissed skin
How could I have ever been so dumb to think that I could win?

Memories of the past
drift through my mind
and I know that I'll never find
a way to fill this hole
but it was time
I had to let you go.

What have I left?

2 comments:

The Crow said...

Jess, i FEEL what is in the this writing. At least as it pertains to me. Truely "what do i have left?" My best friend, gone. My love, gone. Was it all lies? Was it really what i perceived or was it a cruel lie? How could this be happening? How? You are a bright light in a dark world that needs more like yourself. You are the strong one. Keep being you.

Dylan Taylor Ryder said...

Thanks so much for the feedback :) I really appreciate it! :)