Friday, June 11, 2010

My big library adventure....

I actually got offline for a little while yesterday!

I felt like I hadn't used my legs in months and fought through the searing pain of sunlight as it forced its way through my eyes.

It was hard not to squint and although I wanted to retaliate back to the comfort of my couch dent, I forged ahead!

As soon as I got outside the sweat came pouring off of my face, which was the moment I had an Epiphany and realized that in order for my venture outdoors, I had to find a place to hide from that damned sun ASAP!

I got in my car and put down the sun visor while looking for my shades, and immediately cranked up the AC as the sweat started forming behind my knees. Ugh!

My gas tank was as hungry as I was so I figured a quick trip to the gas station would fulfill us both. A slim jim and 2 gallons of gas later, we were both feeling a little better about this venture.

The car had cooled down enough to be tolerable and the traffic wasn't nearly as bad as the jam I had conjured up in my head so I decided I might not need that last Kolonopin after all. I did have to figure out where to go though before this asshole behind me blows an artery the way he's blowing his horn.

I made a left which was surprisingly easier than making a right. About that time the Gods shined on me as I received a call from my local library that the book I reserved a month prior had finally arrived.

The New Graphic Design School by Alan Swann made me hopeful that I really could step up my artwork and perhaps even make some money doing it!

Luckily, I was already headed in that direction. As I was pulling up I realized that the few cars that were strewn about the parking lot were all occupied. I looked at the clock and realized I now had another 25 minutes before the library opened up. Just my luck!

I should've bought something to drink while I was at the gas station and now it was too far to go back but just close enough to taunt me. I suffered through the heat.

I opened all of the windows and melted like a candy bar under the hot sun into the seats. Just when I thought I couldn't take anymore, I heard the sound of the door unlocking. Thank GOD!

Since I really make it an effort not to venture out of the house too often, I decided to stock up on supplies. I really should unplug once in a while and start reading actual books again. I was beginning to forget how much I loved the library until yesterday, when I walked in and was greeted with a 70 degree kiss from the AC faeries, and learned there was a whole other section to the library that I had been missing.

The "New" section sang to me like angels at heavens gate. I ended up with TWELVE books! (All of which are due in 2 weeks!) If any of what I checked out turns out to be a good book, I'll definitely let you know!

For those of you who want to start getting back into reading I have to tell you that there is an AMAZING E-book called "Little Brother" by Cori Doctrow that is quite possibly one of the best books that I've read in years! I downloaded it on my G1 and couldn't put it down!

If you find anything good let me know! I need some good reads :)

No comments: